Monday, April 5, 2010

A little background

Every year before the MLB season starts I start getting excited. I have never been as much a baseball fan as I have been a fan of sports, so over 162 games I lose interest pretty quickly but pick up my excitement around October, like most sport enthusiasts. This time around I had an idea to pick a random MLB team out of a hat and root for them all season. I figured that would help extend my interest all season long.

I don't feel like I HAVE to like baseball. I don't know if all of these shenanigans will make me care any more, but it sounded fun so I am giving this a shot.


So, opening night, while the Yankees and Red Sox were renewing their rivalry for another season, I selected my team for the 2010 season. That team ended up being...The Atlanta Braves. Initially I was disappointed. It wasn't the sexy pick I wanted. I wanted the Mariners, or the Padres, or the Giants. Teams from places that I like or cities that I think are cool. When I think of Atlanta I think "commercial."
CNN, Coke, TBS, all headquarter there. I've been there once(on my way to Augusta) and it was fine, but nothing stood out. My wife quickly reminded me I couldn't pick another team so I was stuck. I quickly did a little research, even started following the Braves on twitter, and realized they are on TV a lot(TBS) so at least I would have the opportunity to watch them if I wanted. Opening Day arrived and I found Atlanta on ESPN playing my hometown Cubs. I came in late, but just in time to see Jason Heyward, the stud rookie, hit a 3-run home-run, in his first at bat. I'm hoping for a good season...but then again isn't everyone on Opening Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment